FAQ for BeardBaby

by January Harshe on October 14, 2014

I january harshehave shared this on my profile, but thought I would post it here for two reasons. First, so I can refer people to it easily. Second, so YOU can refer to it if you want help in how to answer questions without having to give details.

By all means, if you want to give ALL the details of your pregnancy, please do! For me, I learned the hard way my last pregnancy (and running Birth Without Fear), it’s wise for me to keep details to myself. I’ve come to realize I don’t have to answer every question asked. 🙂

So, here are common questions I am asked and my creative answers.

When are you due?
In 2015.

How many weeks exactly?
0-43 weeks. Exactly.

What kind of birth are you planning?
One where I have a baby.

Are you having a boy or girl?
I will share if and when I’m ready.

birth affirmationsY’all if I’ve learned anything from having five kids and doing BWF, it’s that pregnancy and birth are unpredictable. Also, being too specific sets expectations and causes judgments. I’m pregnant with a healthy baby and have an amazing support system. That’s all that matters to me at the moment.

I truly appreciate your love and support and even your curiosity. Right now I’m practicing what I preach.

{January}

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Lesley October 14, 2014 at 11:38 am

Yes! Thank you! I’m taking your approach next time! I learned the hard way during my pregnancy (a year ago) that no matter what I said, it was wrong and hardly ever met with a sincere joyful response but usually some very unneeded or unwanted opinion…about anything and everything! I’ve loved everything about you and your blog and you have been so inspirational and comforting! Thank you so much…I’m not dreading my next pregnancy as much thanks to your humor and confidence! ❤️

Kamila October 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I also find it annoying when people ask, but I think this is also their way of saying I care for you. Also for some older mums it is a great reminder of their pregnancies and it brings memories, which is such a nice feeling.

Jean October 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I agree with some of this. When people ask when I’m due, I simply say December. I usually get the “Yeah, but when in December?” And with that, I reply, anytime in December. Being vague has it’s place but being overly vague comes off as rude. People asking questions are usually just interested and care about you. For people who put emphasis on the details like that, I enjoy answering questions and explaining that the details aren’t nearly as important as they think and that what is important is that I have a happy, healthy mom and baby. Then I also kindly remind them that a happy mom comes from no unwated belly touching 😉 as a doula and birth educator, I get a lot of the sarcastic, “Well are you just going to deliver this baby on your own then, ha!” And they get the, yes actually, I am! My husband is so excited to be able to catch his baby and have that first contact be his. Usually people don’t even know that’s an option. Kindness and positivity is better recieved.

January Harshe October 14, 2014 at 8:58 pm

You totally do what’s best for you. This is what’s best for me. It’s not about people being rude, it’s about protecting my privacy. 🙂 Husbands getting to catch is the best ever!!

Susan Hayes October 15, 2014 at 7:18 am

I can’t agree more. Opinions, opinions are everywhere! With my first and second pregnancy I didn’t mind, but I find that now I do so I’m much more private. Blessings to you, January, in this pregnancy and thanks for all you do.

BJ November 6, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I don’t like to share to much either and it has been really hard at times. When people ask when I’m due I say December then they always ask the day and they think it’s rude when I say ask the baby she’s the one to pick the day. Right know people keep asking if I’m almost done and I just say no I haven’t even started yet. I’m pregnant with baby #4.